Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 6

This morning everyone had the exclusive El Salvadorian cuisine of bagels and cereal for breakfast. After breakfast, we all left to go work on the pastors house. As luke hobbled down the steps with his sore lower back side, everyone worked hard on their jobs. The bucket bragaid (Gravel movers) were tired of the enless climbing of steps, so Drew had a brilliant idea to do the work better and faster. It failed miserably. The work was still tiring so a new plan was made. In this plan everyone took a spot on the steps and passed the buckets down the hill. The cement was also made today and placed into the ground. When the work was done and we were sipping coke out of a plastic bag, we knew that we had finished all of our work projects in El Salvador. Our dinner was even more authentic than breakfast. It consisted of a meaty pancake like food with Chex Mixtm. Last we went home and went to bed thinking about the sand wedgies we will get tomorrow.

-Drew Myers and nathan scimio

2 comments:

  1. To the members of the Discovery Church in El Salvador,

    I truly feel blessed that each and everyone of you were brought into my life and I am honored that I was able to work along side you and spend time getting to know you. I have been a part of many lacrosse teams through out my life, a member of a sorority, and a member of several service organizations at college but I have never worked with a group of people who could come together so well and work as a whole. The work we had to do while you were in El Salvador was rigorous but everyone did it with a smile on their face and we some how managed to turn carrying really heavy buckets down very step wobbly steps into something that was fun (or at least as fun as it could be). I have learned so much from all of you this past week and I really appreciate that, I especially appreciate the team helping me begin the journey to re discovering my faith and I am excited to check out your church when I return to Pittsburgh. I wish you were all still here with me but I hope this message is finding you safe and sound back in Pittsburgh. Please keep in touch.
    Your new friend,

    Rina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rina our new chica,

    I was so excited to learn that you were going to be down in El Salvador the moment I met you at the 5K.. Just like we said last night around the palm leaf bonfire (in, what like, 40 mph winds? lol) that people come into our lives for a reason, even if for a short while... I knew that there would be a reason behind you joining our group. We all couldn't get over the fact that you just kind of jumped in full force and worked so hard with all of us the entire week... Completely volunteered to work until you could barely move by Friday (hence the short nap in the hammock ha!).. and the bruises and everything are a tell-tale sign that you gave your best effort to help us achieve our goals for the week. I am so glad to have met you, and I think that this is the beginning of something for us all... I think we all had a similar drive to reach out to everyone around us, and that is what brought us together and gave us that positive attitude in the midst of the hard labor and long hours under the sun. I really admire what you did all on your own, to decide to take this trip down by yourself, without really knowing anyone of us beforehand. I would LOVE to start some things up here in PIttsburgh and plan for next year. Your presence on this trip was one of the best presents we had... I want you to know that Eres muy chiva, vos :-)

    ReplyDelete